Thursday 21 August 2014

Revised Collection Process

On the first stretch of the walk I processed all the plants at each stage by first colour sampling with Adobe Kuler and then identifying and drawing them. The problem with this was that I was simply naming my colour samples 'plant1' increasing numerically within each location. I was also colour sampling plants that I might not go on to draw and analyse. Because I soon found that doing so with all the plants that I had documented was far too ambitious. It was far more feasible to choose three or four of the most interesting plants and analyse them in greater depth. I have found that the analysis of said plants springs naturally from my observations and personal views about a plants structure, colour and general impression. Writing this down has really helped crystallise my thoughts. So, by trial and error I have found the best method is to colour sample and identify at the beginning, while selecting the plants that I want to go on and draw. This way it doesn't take up to two weeks to process all the information that is collected in one walk. 
The image above shows the material from just one six mile walk. As you can see, it is a lot of material. Because I previously underestimated the amount of work I was giving myself I have decided to cut down to three walks. Totalling about twenty miles as a complete stretch. The three consecutive walks I have chosen have an interesting and varying botany that acts as a great cross section of the norfolk coast line.

No comments:

Post a Comment